Monday, July 6, 2020

Racism Without Racists

Racism Without Racists

Adult nonfiction
"How is it possible to have this tremendous degree of racial
inequality in a country where most whites claim that race is no longer
relevant? More important, how do whites explain the apparent
contradiction between their professed color blindness and the United
States' color coded inequality? In this book I attempt to answer both
these questions..."
In Racism Without Racists (quoted above) Eduardo Bonilla-Silva
refutes the claim made by many Whites in the 21st century that racism
is gone with the wind. It's instead mutated into a more subtle, more
sneaky form. Rather than men in sheets burning crosses to keep Blacks
from moving into White neighborhoods, you have deceptive real estate
agents. Instead of claims of racial intellectual inferiority to
explain Black failure to advance you get discourses on membership in
cultures that encourage laziness and dependency.
You get a racism that allows allows Whites to claim the "virtue"
of color blindness.
Bonilla-Silva dissects out the strands that contribute to this
very flawed narrative. He derives his data from surveys and
interviews involving college students and non student adults. The
points he makes are liberally interspersed with interview quotes. He
shows how you can have a society that has very racist impacts without
racist intent on the part of its dominant culture.
On a purrrsonal note, I can't believe I only read four books. I'll
blame that on the wonderful distractions provided by my family. I am
glad I had social time. And I know I'll have plenty more shelter at
home time to work on my annotated bibliography. (Jules)
Joy! Joy! Joy! My family is together again. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to all who show that we are not in some
color blind post racial utopia.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment