Tuesday, July 14, 2020

For Better And Worse

For Better And Worse

Adult Mystery
"'Don't you remember our very first date? When you told me that
you and I were smart enough to get away with murder?'
'I was trying to impress you! Hell, I was trying to get you
into bed!' Will ran a hand through his hair--the same one he'd just
punched a wall with--and winced. 'I wasn't proposing that we actually
go out and start killing people like a couple of sociopaths.'"
Natalie and Will have come a long way since their first law
school date. They have earned their degrees, moved to a small town in
Florida, and established themselves professionally. Married, they are
raising an eleven-year-old son, Charlie, when we meet up with them
again. They seem to be drifting apart. Natalie senses that Will may
be having an affair. Soon they'll yearn for the day when those were
their biggest concerns.
Robert Gibbons, the principal of Charlie's school, is accused of
child molestation. A child, Tate, has complained of inappropriate
touching. Many people are skeptical. Tate is a foster child with a
troubled past who acts out a lot.
"Just a few minutes earlier, I was sure that the Robert Gibbons
I knew couldn't be a child molester. But contrarily, everyone's
willingness to assume the worst of this child turned my stomach. So
what if Tate Mason had had a rough life? What if he had set that
fire? Did that mean that he couldn't also be victimized by a
predatory adult?"
When Natalie asks Charlie if the principal has ever touched him
her worst suspicions are confirmed. She is not about to have him talk
to the police. A defense attorney, she has seen what her colleagues
do to children in court to exonerate their clients. But she knows
that Tate's testimony might not be strong enough to secure a
conviction...
...which would leave Gibbons free to hurt other trusting
children...
...not on her watch!
Can Natalie (and possibly Will) commit and get away with
murder? You'll want to read the book to find out!
On a purrrsonal note, I am enjoying a most excellent batch of mystery
books. Now and then I feel a twinge of guilt for reading books in
which the characters, even the ghosts, are white and nothing race
related happens. Then I remind myself probably a lot of people who
read my blog enjoy mysteries. Anyway, my church friend, Emily,
delivered them. She also brought over a bunch of toys that made kids
in the trailer park really happy when I distributed them. Tobago
too. She is mothering two little plush cats I think she sees as her
kittens. (Jules)
That was an exciting day. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our very gracious and helpful
friend, Emily.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment