Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Clara Callan

Clara Callan

Adult historical fiction
"...Father used to say Nora's entire life was a performance.
Perhaps she will make something of herself down there in the radio
business, but it's just as likely she'll return after Christmas. And
then what will she do? I'm sure they won't be taking her back at the
store. It's a foolish time to be taking chances like this..."
As the book starts, title character of Richard B. Wright's Clara
Callan is seeing her younger sister off at the train station. Nora is
headed off to New York City to try for fame and fortune. The year is
1934.
Clara returns to her big old home (Her father has just passed)
with the ominous furnace, sure that she'll remain a set-in-her-ways
spinster school teacher until retirement and solitary old age. Nora
will have all the adventures. She couldn't be more wrong. Over the
course of the novel she will make some bold decisions, one of which
will really startle the folks in her small Canadian town.
One thing that makes the book especially appealing is its
unusual format. It is composed entirely of Clara's journal entries
and the letters she sends and receives. You get a strong sense of the
sisters' always loving but often not so harmonious relationship. (A
recurring theme is Nora's impatience with Clara's lack of interest in
installing a telephone.)
There is also the well embedded mention of them ongoing events
such as the Hindenberg crash and the birth of the Dionne quints that
we have come to see as history. The book goes up to 1838. There is a
lot going on, especially overseas.
In an end of the book talk with the author the interviewer
mentions the hold Clara gets on readers. I can attest to the truth of
that statement of that statement. If you're looking for an insightful
look into the lives of not-so-ordinary folks in a not-so-ordinary era,
you're in for a treat.
On a purrrsonal note, I wasn't expecting much in the way of Easter.
But it turned out wonderful. I got some great pictures of Tobago,
including one proving she distracts me from homework. I found a stash
of the kids' old fuze beads creations and started an art exhibit with
them. My daffodils were standing tall. And I got to spend three
hours with my kids and their fiancées and cats. It was zoom of
course. But it could not have been a more precious time.
Yesterday was a big rain and wind storm. At points the wind sounded
like a freight train. But three very good things happened. 1) A
church friend dropped off some baking ingredients I need to bake
treats for Eugene and the Easter candy I'd been coveting. I managed
to totally surprise Eugene by baking a molasses cake which he totally
deserved after working outside in the mess. Hey, that's my level of
covert ops. 2) A bunch of people in my program met up for a zoom
lunch. I saw some good friends I hadn't seen in months. 3) The power
did not go out til bedtime. It was only a few hours. (Jules).
It was scary. Too wet. Too noisy. Too black outside. My hoomans
kept saying not to worry. Good thing I haz a cat cave. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the precious friends and family
we've been zooming with.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment