Monday, February 12, 2018

Two More Amazing Sheroes

Two More Amazing Sheroes

Juvenile herstory
You can never have enough biographies of trailblazing women for
our younger readers. So when I found two new ones while shelf reading
in the juvenile wing of the Orono Public Library I was over the moon.
And speaking of the moon, did you know Apollo 11 almost was
almost done in by an unexpected computer glitch? You can get the
whole suspenseful story in Dean Robbins' Margaret And The Moon: How
Margaret Hamilton Saved The First Lunar Landing.
Margaret was one of those kids who had questions about
everything. She was especially intrigued by math and outer space.
When she discovered computers she set out to discover all those
machines could be used to accomplish...
...including helping to put men on the moon.
This volume could really help steer STEM capable girls in a good
direction.
I donate blood five times a year. I wouldn't be able to do this
if Clara Barton hadn't founded the Red Cross. Needless to say, I'm a
big fan of hers. I was delighted to see that premier picture book
author and illustrator Patricia Polacco had celebrated her life with
Clara and Davie.
As a child Clara struggled with a lisp. Kids and even family
members made fun of her. Fortunately her big brother, Davie was on
her side. He homeschooled her so she wouldn't be peer bullied.
Early on Clara discovered that she had the power of healing big
time. Neighbors began to ask her to cure sick farm animals. Her
older sister's illness inspired her to study medical books.
One day Clara's beloved brother, Davie, had a really bad fall,
breaking both his legs. She believed he would be able to walk again,
but that made one of them. What could she do...
Well you gotta read the book and see.
BTW did you know that the man who discovered blood types died
for lack of a transfusion. He was black. And the hospital was whites
only. Talk about life's bitter ironies.
On a personal note, I had a lovely weekend. The best part was
church. Choir was well attended and we had a good anthem. The bell
choir played. Pastor Lorna preached a powerful and inspiring sermon.
People cheered when I announced my grad school good news. Brittney who
works at UMaine at CASE showed me a picture of the critter we'll get
to stuff during Pride Week. It is something special. The rest of the
time I was filled with joy and appreciation to be in the dear home
where we raised our children with my husband and cat. Everywhere I
look there are precious memories and pretty things like shells and
snow globes and Beanie Babies.
A great big shout out goes out to my church family.
jules hathaway




Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment