Monday, February 19, 2018

See You In The Cosmos

See You In The Cosmos

Juvenile Fiction
"One time Benji asked me do I feel bad about not having a dad,
and I asked him, Do you feel bad about not having a dinosaur? Benji
said he's not sure because he's never had one, and I said I feel the
same way about a dad. Benji said it'd be so cool to have a
triceratops though, you could ride around on it and crash through the
walls at our school and if a hall monitor tries to write you up for
being late, you can say, Take it up with my Triceratopd. I told him
it was a great idea."
Alex, protagonist of Jack Cheng's See You In The Cosmos, can't
remember the father who died when he was really young. His mother
shows all the symptoms of depression, with quiet days during which she
lies in bed staring at the ceiling. Alex has been taking care of
stuff like cooking. His much older brother, Ronnie, lives far off in
California and is obsessed with his career. So Alex has a lot more
freedom and responsibility than most kids his age.
Alex has a very strong interest: communicating with intelligent
life forms that may be out in the universe. He is recording as many
messages and earth sounds as he can on an iPod. In his quest to
launch it into outer space in a rocket of his own devising, he and his
dog, Carl Sagan, experience some pretty incredible adventures on earth.
Come along for the ride. You'll be glad you did.
On a personal note, I'm on a strange part of my journey, getting ready
for Higher Ed Hello which is a 2 day event for accepted grad
students. After I find out which GAships I'll be interviewing for I
need to send out resumes and cover letters. One complication is I
don't yet know if I'm work study eligible and some require this. It's
in less than a week! Yikes! I'm excited and terrified.
We had an early morning snow storm Sunday. Eugene was called out to
work. Lucky for me church was on. I don't like missing out on choir,
fellowship, and Pastor Lorna's complacency is NOT an option sermons.
A great big shout out goes out to my church family.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment