Sunday, July 23, 2023

You Don't Have A Shot

YA romance
     "The ref scoffs at me.  'You're calling that little stunt an accident?'
     "Funny, I didn't think after that last fucking call of yours that you'd be wise enough to identify bullshit.  I love witnessing character development.'
     Dina yanks my arm sharply, a warning.
     'How's this for a call?'  The ref lifts a second yellow, followed by a red card, and waves both at me.  'You're out of the game.'"
     Vale (Valentina), narrator of Racquel Marie's You Don't Have A Shot, is in big trouble.  Her stunt at a big game has ended her school soccer varsity team's season and their unbroken record.  Her coach is considering replacing her as team captain her senior year of high school.  
     And then there's her super critical father.
     "'I lock my jaw and look him in the eye.  'She made fun of my bad play.'
     'Right.'  He nods, a bitter smile on his face.  'And that was worth throwing away all those potential scholarships and all the hours I've spent supporting you.'  Scoffing, he takes it home.  'Your mother would be so proud.'"
     That's his ultimate weapon.  Her mother had unexpectedly died of cancer when she was barely a teen.
     Then her best friends, Dina and Ovie, suggest that they all spend the summer at the soccer camp they all loved as children.  At first she thinks they're out of their minds.  But as they talk the idea begins to make sense.  It sounds like more fun than a summer with impossible to please Daddy Dearest.
     There's a new intensity at camp.  There's going to be a summer tournament.  Campers have been split up into teams.  Scouts from twenty colleges will be watching the last game.
     Vale is assigned to co captain with her rival, Leticia, the girl she got kicked out of the big game for starting a fight with.  Their team seems very weak and unmotivated.  And Letitia doesn't seem to see the urgency of whipping them into shape.  
     It's not like Vale and Leticia could ever fall for each other...
     ...or is it?  Only one way to find out.
On a purrrsonal note, this week, I think I finally have a way to clear out my returnables and thrift shop stuff out so I can actually get the house and shed organized.  My friend, Erin, came over and we stuffed her station wagon with bags of bottles and cans.  We had more of an adventure than we'd anticipated.  The first two redemption centers we tried were closed.  I was worried that we wouldn't find an open one.  Luckily at our next stop we did.  (Jules)
Erin is a good friend.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Erin.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment