Monday, July 3, 2023

Crunch

Juvenile graphic novel 
     Olive, protagonist of Kayla Miller's Crunch, is a busy bee type of kid.  She takes guitar lessons.  She's on student council.  When she learns about a film festival she decides to submit an entry.  She agrees to poll her fellow students about the school's dress code and present the information.  A friend's parents talk her into joining Berry Scouts...
     ...At first everything seems manageable.  But juggling her activities with school and homework begins to take a toll.  
     The graphic novel format is 🥰 💞 👌 for this narrative.  Facial expressions and body language convey a lot of Olive's fatigue and frustration in a way words alone couldn't.
     Crunch, with its message to limit and prioritize engagements and make time for self care and fun, is a very timely book 📖 for a time when the push to engage in a wide variety of activities to set oneself apart from other college applicants extends to younger and younger kids.  
On a purrrsonal note, unless she seriously reforms Olive is in danger of growing up to be like me.  I pride myself on my ability to say no to other people who ask me to do things I don't have time for or interest in.  The problem is I can't say no to me when I get ideas.
I may be in a slightly grouchy mood.  I've been up an hour without ☕️.  I can't drink it because it makes people pee.  Very soon I have to drink 32 ounces of liquid and actually leave the house to go to the hospital for a kidney ultrasound, hopefully without having an embarrassing accident like when I was seven and a dog who actually attacked kids had me treed for hours.  I'd be even more stressed, though, if not for the sweet cat curled up on my lap.  (Jules)
I make sure she takes breaks.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to all the companion animals who make sure that their people take some time for relaxation.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment