Thursday, July 13, 2023

The Star That Always Stays

Juvenile historical fiction 
     When I started this blog historical fiction was one of my favorite genres.  Now it's not far above adult romances on my preferences list.  So to captivate me a novel of this type has to be very special.  Anna Rose Johnson's The Star That Always Stays certainly is.
     Norvia is very lucky to be able to attend high school.  In 1914 it isn't considered essential, especially for girls who are expected to become wives and mothers.  From popular novels she's learned that the key to high school happiness 😊 🙂 ☺️ 😃 is popularity.  Her first day she picks out some alpha girls whose circle she wants to work her way into, unaware that she has two social stigmas standing in her way.
     Her mother is a divorcee newly married to a widower.  Her father's drinking, gambling 🎰, and risk taking had been too much for her to take.  Leaving him is a move that would be applauded now.  But in those days divorcees we're considered to be wicked, worldly women whose daughters would follow in their evil 😈 footsteps.
     Also she's half Indigenous.  Most of her life had been on an island surrounded by her living and nurturing extended family.  She treasures her birthright traditions and the stories passed down from generation to generation.  Now her mother has told her to keep this part of her heritage secret--even from the family they'll be marrying into.
     But there are some good parts to high school.  Norvia enjoys and excels in bookkeeping and typing.  She begins to dream of working in an office after graduation.  A classmate is determined to be her friend.  And a boy has a pretty obvious crush on her.  
     Maybe, unlike the popular mean girls, they'll be there for Norvia even if they learn her secrets.
On a purrrsonal note, I had a really good day Tuesday.  It was all about volunteering.  My first stop was the library where I did some shelf reading.  They had a surprise for me.  I thought I didn't have any inter library loan books waiting for me because I hadn't received any notices.  It turns out there were thirteen.  Now I have enough even if Eugene and I go to camp 🏕.  Then I went down the hill and volunteered in the community garden.  The weeds had sprung up like...weeds.  So gardeners had our work cut ✂️ out for us.  I'd invited my friend Zoe to join the crew.  She did.  She loves the garden and everyone loves her.  She had never been in Orono Public Library so I gave her a tour.  She was very impressed and asked me how to get a library card.  :)  Today I'm going on campus.  Black Bear Exchange is open.  I'm hoping to get lucky and find food for me and cool clothes for the Upward Bound Swap Shop.  (Jules)
She was covered in dirt when she got home last night.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Orono Public Library.  They now have a machine in the bathroom with free eco friendly period products.  Also to their partner in this important endeavor--Orono Health Association.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment