Saturday, July 8, 2023

The Tryout

Juvenile graphic memoir 
    In a beautiful coincidence about a week after I found Play Like A Girl I discovered Christina Soontornvat's The Tryout, another sports related 7th grade memoir.  The sport in this narrative is cheer leading.  
     Cheer leading is huge in Christina's school.  The eighth grade team members in their uniforms seem larger than life.  Making the team seems to be an instant popularity portal.  She and her best friend, Megan, set their hearts πŸ’• πŸ’ž on it.  
     Trying out is an arduous months long process.  All aspirants learn a cheer πŸ€— and pair up for the first tryout.  Megan and Christina make the first cut.  The group is pared down from forty to eighteen.  Each pair is given a stunt to learn and perfect before the final elimination.  Only eight will be chosen.
     Christina's greatest fear is that either she or Megan (but not both) will achieve her goal and that that will be the end of their close friendship.  
     Race enters into the narrative.  Although Christina was born in Texas her father is from Thailand.  Microaggressions ranging from peer insults to teachers not trying to pronounce her last name right are a too regular part of her school days.
On a purrrsonal note, I can't believe the stupid mistake I made.  The kids had planned the late Father's Day cookout which is a family tradition.  I was sure it was scheduled for tomorrow.  When I got up Eugene asked if I wanted to go for breakfast.  We went to Governors.  Then he asked if I wanted to go for a ride.  Like an idiot I said yes.  We drove all over.  We stopped at some yard sales.  We got subs and had a picnic lunch.  It turned out that the barbeque was today.  So we didn't make it.  Which totally sucks because now we may not be able to get together as a family until next summer.  I so miss the Great Before when we got together more regularly including winter holidays.  Christmas πŸŽ„ 2019 we were starting a new tradition of getting together to open gifts.  FUCK COVID!!!!!!!
Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment