Saturday, November 19, 2022

Good Girl, Bad Blood

YA fiction 
     "Last time I almost lost everything. I ended up in the hospital, got my dog killed, put my family in danger, destroyed my best friend's life.  I...I can't do it anymore."
     We met Pip in Holly Jackson's A Good Girl's Guide To Murder.  She reopened a five-year-old case that had been written off by law enforcement as a murder-suicide along with the brother of the alleged killer.  They learned some of their town's secrets and aggravated some dangerous people.  Bad things had happened.
     In Jackson's sequel, Good Girl, Bad Blood, Pip is presented with a dilemma.  Jamie, the older brother of her friend, Connor, goes missing.  Since Jamie is legally an adult the police are basically doing nothing.  Connor is afraid that if Pip, who he trusts more than he does that local police, doesn't do something his family will never see Jamie alive again.
     Pip is still remorseful for the unintended consequences of her previous investigation.  She's especially grieving the loss of her beloved dog.  She knows how her parents will react if she takes on another case...
     ...but when she tries to get the police to take action and they don't she feels like she has no other choice.
     So how does this sequel stack up to the original? I think it's even better.  The plot is more twisty and nuanced.  The character of Pip is more complex and believable.
     My advice to YA and adult adult thriller affecionados: read the two books in order, just not on a starless home alone night.
On a purrrsonal note, Good Jules, Very Good Grades!!!  I finally located my grades on my laptop.  Other than the C I got when we went online because of COVID and I didn't have adequate computer skills I have all A's.  (Jules)
Celebrate good grades! (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to...
You, star student!  (Tobago)
And you and precious Joey.  I couldn't have done it without a lot of help from feline friends.  (Jules)



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment