Monday, November 14, 2022

Ara the Star Engineer

Picture book
    Komal Singh was stunned by her then four-year-old daughter's pronouncement that "Engineers are boys."  What made this statement especially jarring was that she's a techie who loves her work.  It made her realize that more representation was needed to combat media and societal biases.  Ara the Star Engineer is the result of her epiphany.  
     Ara, a lover of big numbers, wants to program her computer, DeeDee, to count all the stars in the sky.  They set off for Innovation Plex where DeeDee had been invented.  Four tech people with various areas of expertise (including a trouble shooter) help her figure out how to achieve her goal.  
     Singh's goals for her narrative are elegant and inspiring.  
     " I hope you will use this book as a tool to relevel STEM playing fields.  To inspire beautiful minds of all genders young and old.  To meet women engineer trailblazers of diverse color and background who are solving some of the biggest problems in computing today!"
     Way to go!
On a purrrsonal note, I spent my three day weekend editing my biggest paper and transferring it from 3" x 5" cards to my laptop.  I was in the driven mode my advisor doesn't like.  Lucky for her Tobago was on the job.  Whenever she felt that I needed a break she convinced me to cuddle her or play with her.  And just when I thought she couldn't be more adorable she's discovered the joys of sitting on my lap.  I did get the work I wanted to do done.  But I had plenty of chill and relax time.  (Jules)
That's what a cat is for?  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the best little cat in the world. (Jules)
And the best family in the world (Tobago)




Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment