Sunday, November 20, 2022

Full Disclosure

YA fiction 
     "But that doesn't mean I can't want sex. Lately, it keeps creeping into the back of my mind.  I'm not sitting around, looking for people to have sex with, but I want it.  I want to be able to look at someone and love them the way other people are able to."
     By other people, Simone, narrator of Camryn Garrett's Full Disclosure, means people who aren't HIV positive.  She was born that way.  Her fathers have been teaching her that abstinence is the only way to totally prevent transmitting the virus.  But Simone is seventeen.  Abstinence as a lifestyle is looking a lot less appealing...
     ...especially since gorgeous Miles starts showing an interest in her.  He seems to share her passion for musical theater.  His actions and words stir her in a new way.  But as they become a pair she knows that eventually kisses and holding hands won't be enough.  She knows she'll have to disclose her status...
     ...Only there's more at stake than his rejection which, in itself, would be devastating.  At Simone's old school she told someone she trusted, someone who clued her friends in on social media.  Suddenly her peers were shunning her and their parents were calling for her expulsion.
     Simone is happy in her current school.  She has friends.  She's student director for the school musical.  She doesn't want to have to change schools again.
     But she begins to find notes warning her that if she doesn't break up with Miles by Thanksgiving the whole school will learn her secret.  
     Although Garrett learned some stuff about AIDS in high school, her real education began when she encountered the blogs of parents with HIV positive kids.  That's when Simone began to take shape in her mind.  Her author's note includes an abundance of resources for readers who want to learn more.
On a purrrsonal note, the high point of my weekend was the fundraising bean supper and silent auction my church put on to raise money for Wilson Center.  I volunteered.  The food was excellent.  It was built around beans, rice, kale, and other wholesome ingredients.  Dessert was apple crisp.  Joey gave me a ride over.  I got to hang out with them and meet their mom, grandmother, and brother.  Such an awesome family.  I bid on a darling Beanie Boo unicorn.  Nobody bid against me so I took Fantasia home for only $6.  The event raised $3021!  And channel 5 news ran a great story about the event.  (Jules)
She has a thing for Beanie Boos.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out to all who made the event a great success.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment