Monday, August 24, 2020

Ordinairy Light

Ordinairy Light

Adult memoir
"Did we recognize the day it arrived? A day with so much pain,
a day when her patience has dissolved and she wanted nothing but to be
outside of it. Pain. The word itself doesn't hurt enough, doesn't
know how to tell us what it stands for.
Probably very few authors start a memoir with a detailed
description of their mother's death from cancer. Actually I've never
seen this before. But it is a very fitting start to Tracy K. Smith's
Ordinary Light.
Smith's life trajectory was in large part influenced by her
relationship with her mother and the relugion that endowed her mom
with confidence that, no matter what happened on Earth, perfect
salvation was waiting in heaven. Bedtime stories were drawn from
Little Visits With God. In those tales children faced decisions with
clear cut right and wrong answers. Eventually Smith encountered
murkier morality choices and began to desire and taste forbidden
fruit. But through the first decades of her life her thoughts and
decisions were seen through the lenses of relationship and faith.
Race was another influence. Writings by Black authors validated
Smith's thoughts and experiences. Treatment by clueless (or worse)
Whites (such as the girl who always called her "Black Girl") was a
source of hurt. Rare close encounters with geographically distant
relatives were confusing.
As she ended the book, Smith, herself, was a mother. Her own
mom had been dead almost as long as she had been present in her life.
She characterized herself as still searching.
If you want a very candid memoir that is as messy and
intersectional as life itself, you'll want to read Ordinary Light.
On a purrrsonal note, recall how I thought I was going to have an
ordinary weekend. I was very wrong. It was both an awesome and a
scary weekend.
Saturday my little friend, Savannah, and I delivered the backpacks.
The kids and parents were so excited with the packs and their
contents! The parents are very pleased that when the kids run out of
stuff I have germ free school supplies quarantined in my shed. There
was a social distanced outside cookout in the trailor park. Great
food, great company, perfect weather. It made me so happy to see the
kids showing off their backpacks and everyone admiring them! I really
miss the volunteering I usually do.
Sunday Eugene and I took a road trip so far west we almost left the
state. We saw lots of beautiful mountain scenery and a real Amish
horse and buggy. We hit some good yard sales. The scary part was
that the truck started stalling and did a lot on the trip back. We
could have been hit by another vehicle or stranded in the boonies. I
was so happy to get home! (Jules)
I was very happy that my hoomans got home safely. (Tobago)
A great big shout out to the people who are donating school supplies
and Eugene who had the driving skills to get us home safely!
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment