Monday, August 3, 2020

Love Warrior

Love Warrior
Adult Memoir
"...My cousins chase each other from room to room, a tornado of
squeals and skin. It's summer and most of them are wearing bathing
suits, as if that's easy. Their bodies are light and wispy and they
seem to float and flit together, in a unit--like a school of fish..."
Glennon Doyle Melton, author of Love Warrior, was only ten when
she watched the other children from the safety of her grandmother's
couch. Where she saw them as fish, she perceived herself as a whale--
not deserving of belonging. She was also ten when she discovered how
to binge and purge.
"...Bulemia is the word I make for myself, since I don't know
how to fit into the real world. Bulemia is my safe, deadly hiding
place...where my hunger can be as big as it is, and I can stay as
small as I need to."
Melton had sex for the first time in high school. It was far
from a blissful experience. She felt like her boyfriend was using her
like cats use scratching posts. She learned to survive intercourse by
leaving herself until it's over.
By the time Melton married Craig she had also become a problem
drinker. Somehow they managed to add three children to the mix and
function as a family. Melton became a successful writer.
But Craig had brought his own baggage into the marriage. One
day he makes a devastating admission. Throughout their union he has
been sleeping with other women.
Can this marriage be saved?
You'll want to read the book to find out.
On a purrrsonal note, welcome to another week. I hope you had a great
weekend. I surely did. Eugene and I went to camp. It was nice and
peaceful and not overly hot. I hung out a lot on the camp front
porch, reading of course. I had an amazing bird visitation! A
hummingbird hovered in front of me showing me its jewel green chest.
Such a beautiful sight! Eugene cooked supper on the grill. Another
benefit to camp! In the evening we played cards and watched a movie.
Of course when we got home Sunday was happy to see us. (Jules)
My hoomans are safely home with me where they belong. (Tobago).
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene, our shelter at home companion.


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment