Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Harbor Me

Harbor Me

Juvenile nonfiction
"'I can't say stuff like how much the gun thing sucks,' Ashton
said. 'But, I mean, but does everything have to be about black versus
white? I mean, what if people just stopped talking about racism.
Wouldn't it just go away?...
Amari stopped drawing and shook his head. 'You just don't get
it.'"
Jacqueline Woodson's Harbor Me is one of those rarest of
literary gems--the chapter book that is vibrant, spirited, well
crafted, and enchanting as opposed to dull, pedantic, and vocabulary
simplified.
There are six kids in a special ed class. Although the adults
in their lives work hard to build their self esteem, they know how the
other kids see them. One Friday an hour before dismissal their
teacher leads them to a room that used to be the art room. Now it
will be their safe space. Every week they'll get to spend time
together talking with no adults present.
"I think any other bunch of kids would have started happy-
dancing and acting crazy because there weren't going to be any grown-
ups around. But we weren't any other kids."
At first they're not comfortable with the situation. They have
no script for it. What will they even talk about?
They do have some stories. Estaben's father has been taken by
immigration. His undocumented mother is in peril. Amari has been
told he can no longer play with his toy guns. People might see him as
dangerously thuggish because of the color of his skin.
"'The cops who shot that kid in the park didn't even ask him any
questions,' Amari said. 'Just came in the park and shot him right
away.'"
Tiago sees how his mother, vibrant and outgoing in Puerto Rico,
is fearful and quiet in New York. Ashton is being tormented by
bullies. Holly is ashamed of her impulsivity and her family's money.
As they share they come together as a group. They become each
other's harbor. But narrator Haley hasn't shared the burdens she
carries. Will she?...
...read the book and find out.
On a purrrsonal note, I love Woodson's uses of the word harbor as a
safe space and as the ways people shelter the ones they care about.
In happier days I was going from one harbor to another: work, class,
commuter lounge, Black Bear Exchange, and so many other previous
places. When shelter in place started I felt like a big old ugly,
useless cruise ship drifting aimlessly on the ocean because these
harbors were shut. Then I began to see the harbors that are open and
opening. My kids and their significant others are harbor even when
we're all miles apart. My marriage of 31 years is a harbor. Lisa is
a harbor bringing food and friendship. Emily H is a library book
harbor and friend who also gives me candy. And I just remet (socially
distanced by Internet) someone I have a lot in common with. (Jules)
My home and hoomans are my harbor (Tobago).
A great big shout out goes out to all sentient members of all species
who shelter their loved ones in times of crisis and uncertainty.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment