Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Ron's Big Mission

Ron's Big Mission

Picture book
Astronaut Ron McNair, who died in 1986 when the space shuttle
Challenger exploded, was a boy in 1959 when he decided to take a
stand. He selected some books at the library and took them to the
check out desk...
...should be simple, right. If you're like me you've done that
about a gazillion times. But in that library blacks weren't allowed
to. They could read them in the library or have a white friend borrow
for them.
This is no longer enough for Ron. He remains adament even when
the police are called in...
...and you'll never guess what happens.
Children and adults alike will find this book inspiring. We all
need to be taking stands and not putting up with injustice.
On a personal note, here in Penobscot County, Maine we're enjoying our
long awaited spring. My dafodills are regal yellow flags. UMaine
looks like Mother Nature dressed her up for graduation.
Yesterday Mind Spa and CASE put on a final exam stress buster. I
didn't think I'd see anything new til Joe showed me the scratch
boards. They're black on top with rainbow colors underneath. You
draw with a skinny wooden stick. I was over the moon, drawing for
hours, totally in the zone. I illustrated three of my favorite
sayings: "Be bold! Be beautiful! Be Brave! Be brilliant! Be Your
Best! You are enough!" "He liveth best who loveth best all creatures
great and small. For the same God who made us made and liveth
all" (from Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner) "Aim for the moon. If you
miss you'll land among the stars.". They'll look great in my studio.
For the first time in well over a decade I may go further than New
Hampshire. I pursuaded my friends Russell and Big Ben we and Big Ben's
fiancée should make a road trip to Boston this summer. What a road
trip that will be!
But I better get going. Gotta be on campus in time to stuff a bear or
moose! In other words a couple of hours before the event.
A great big shout out goes out to all the folks doing much needed
stress buster events during finals week.
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment