Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Princess Smartypants

Princess Smartypants

Picture book
While we're on the subject of superheroes, we can't overlook
Babette Cole's classic Princess Smartypants. Orono Public Library
just acquired a copy. It is a breath of fresh air for all of us who
are just plain fed up with princesses waiting around in comas to be
awakened by true love's kiss and carted off to happily ever by Prince
Charming. Bleah!
Princess Smartypants has no desire for marriage. She likes her
unwed, independent lifestyle just fine thank you. Her queenly mom
pressures her to pretty herself up and find a husband. Hopeful
suitors keep pestering her. But she is clever, resourceful, and
perfectly capable of deterring the legions of would be hubbies. The
surprise ending is absolutely delightful.
Princess Smartypants is a must read for feisty girls and moms
who want to be the heroines of their life stories, not dormant trophy
princesses.
On a personal note, the other Fathers Day weekend event was one of my
best achievements as a writer: my first Artsapalooza. Artsapalooza
is an annual event in Orono--an evening where musicians perform and
writers read their work in a wide range of venues. Much to my delight
I was given prime time in my beloved Keith Anderson community center
where I perform with Orono Arts Cafe and Orono Community Theater. I
did my research and picked just the right poems for the demographic I
attracted. It was one forty minute love fest. My listeners and I were
so engaged, so on the same wave length. I was in seventh heaven. The
next morning I got an invitation to perform next year.
A great big shout out goes out to all who participated in Artsapalooza
2015.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment