Thursday, July 30, 2015

brain rules

brain rules

Adult non fiction
It's a very unimpressive looking organ (think gummy candy the
color of raw squid) located inside the human skull. However, it's
command central--in charge of everything from breathing and
procreating to the finest art and most abstract math. You know I'm
talking about the brain. There's an awful lot we are discovering
about its abilities and limitations and what we can do to make the
most of it. If we wait for the final answers most of us will pass
first. However, and you knew I was going to say this, I've just
discovered a delightful book that can enlighten most of us.
John Medina's brain rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and
Thriving at Work, Home, and School neatly links the latest research in
formidable sounding fields like neuroscience and biochemistry with
practical real life applications. The text is highly readable with
only the faintest trace of the didactic. The twelve chapters are
built around topics of great general interest:
*Are female and male brains all that different?
*Does music help kids learn better?
*How can we get people to pay attention to what we consider important?
*What is it about stress that scrambles our cognitive powers?...
Some of what you read will make intuitive sense. Some will
shatter ideas many of us believe. It's a fascinating read and, in
paperback, a solid book club choice. I reccomend it to anyone who is
a parent, a teacher, a legislator, a heath care professional, a
marketer, or a member of the human species.
On a personal note, I was fascinated by how, since vision trumps all
other senses, pictures facilitate the understanding of the written
word. I've always thought it a shame that so many books for all but
our youngest readers have words and background and nothing else. Why
are we so picture phobic or snobby? I have seen my poems alone and
with graphic art done by my friend, Leah. The graphic arts adds so
much richness and depth. Someday I want my poems to be published in
that format.
A great big shout out goes out to all who are gaining insight into the
inner workings of our awesome brains.
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment