Friday, December 20, 2013

Loose Threads

Loose Threads

YA fiction
Growing up in Florida, Lorie Ann Grover enjoyed the love of her
four generation family. When she was fourteen her grandmother was
treated for breast cancer. Five years later a recurrance took her
grdndmother's life. Not surprisingly, Loose Threads, based on Grover's
experiences, has the ring of authenticity. Sometimes it gets too
real. But it's a beautiful and loving narration that is well worth
reading.
As the story opens, 7th grader Kay is enjoying M*A*S*H. During
the commercials her Grandfather Margie announces the discovery of a
lump in her breast. The biopsy reveals a particularly bad strain of
cancer. As her grandmother copes with surgery and chemotherapy Kay
struggles with questions of faith and fears.
School becomes difficult to cope with. The concerns of the
other students seem so superficial. Once showering after PE she hears
other girls complaining about being skinny, fat, or flat chested and
finds herself asking,
"Who cares
What shape
Everything is
If it's healthy?"
After a meeting with a teacher she reflects,
"Being with Grandma Margie
Is a whole lot harder
Than making good grades.
I'm failing both."
I think Loose Threads would be a good book to help young people
deal with a friend or family member's cancer. Teachers, clergy, and
especially guidance counselors should read it.
On a personal note, I remember way back the first time I lost someone
to cancer. It created the biggest theological conflict in my then
young life. Pat was in seminary, studying to be a minister. I was
unconfirmed well beyond the average age because I didn't feel I
understood enough to make an adult commitment. Pat very much wanted
me theologically safe before she passed on. I saw it as lying under
oath. Would that condemn my soul to Hell? But when I realized that
was the only good gift I could give her I went through with the
ceremony, hoping God would understand.
A great big shout out goes out to all who have lost loved ones to that
terrible disease.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment