Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Change The Way

Change The Way

If my mentor, Betsy Webb, had been with me in Orono Public
Library the day I discovered Kathryn Cramer and Hank Wasiak's Change
The Way You See Everything Through Asset-Based Thinking she would have
instructed me to read and reflect on it. That would not have been a
hard sell. Everything about it from the texture of the book cover to
the generous use of photographs to the upbeat, conversational tone is
enticing.
Basically the book shows the difference between deficit-based
and asset-based thinking. Deficit based thinking prepares us to
protect ourselves from danger. Dating back to the days when homo
sapiens were a lot lower than we are now on the food chain, it can be
adaptive under certain circumstances. Despite the dire threat
drumbeat of the if-it-bleeds-it-leads media, many of us today don't
live in those circumstances. At its most benign this modus operendi
keeps us stuck in a narrowly focussed fight or flight life style,
preventing us from seeing larger possibilities. At worst the effect
of constant stress can be lethal.
Asset-based thinking, in contrast, allows us to look at the
wider picture with its possibilities. We focus on strengths rather
than weakness and on possibilities rather than dead ends. We change
(this is the tough one) problems into opportunities. The wider lens
can allow us to think outside of the box and envision new
possibilities. Since it is based on optimism rather than pessimism,
its far more conducive to optimum physical and psychological well being.
The situation doesn't change. How we look at it does. Take a
recent snap shot from my life. I did not get a job I would have been
otherwise ideally suited for because of a computer skills deficit
acquired while at home parenting. Since classes are too expensive, if
I'd taken a narrow focus I'd be filling out fast food applications.
However, I took a step back and thought of all the strengths I have. I
set up an appoinment to convince a university dean that a volunteer
spot where I work twenty hours a week in exchange for learning those
skills would be a bargain for his school. I'll let you know how that
turns out.
The book is divided into three sections: changing the way you
see yourself, changing the way you see other people, and changing the
way you see situations. Each one carries a lively blend of
instruction written in a down-to-earth conversational style,
narrative, and amazing photographs. If there is something in your
life--personal, professional, or spiritual--you'd like to change, it's
a good place to start.
I do have one cavaet. Books like this carry the danger of
playing into the hands of the personal responsibility crowd. More and
more people these days are truly endangered no matter how they look at
their situations as economic conditions grow worse for most who aren't
in the elite. If I didn't have a husband willing and able to support
a family, if our children had been seriously handicapped instead of
high achieving, if any number of things I would not have the option of
holding out. So let's not confuse perspective changing with a panacea
that will apply to all folks, no matter how dire their situation.
On a personal note, I jotted down a number of quotes that I found
inspiring. One in particular stunned me. "In everyone's life, at
some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an
encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for
those people who rekindle the human spirit." That's by Albert
Schweitzer. Thank God I encountered Betsy when my soul flame was
extinguished or dangerously close to being so. With her friendship
and guidance it now burns brighter than ever. YOWZA!
A great big shout out goes out to all sentient beings (It's not only
two footers) who rekindle the human spirit.


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment