Monday, December 16, 2013

Here Come The Girl Scouts

Here Come The Girl Scouts

Picture book
These days Girl Scouting is about as all American as motherhood
and apple pie. Uniforms, merit badges, cookie sales...I think all of
us have at least some script for this organization. It's hard to
realize that over 100 years ago when it was just getting started it
was ground breaking and controversial. Fortunately Shana Corey's Here
Come The Girl Scouts! gives us insight into its history and very
colorful founder.
When Daisy (Juliette) Gordon Lowe was growing up in Georgia,
young ladies were supposed to be oh, so dainty. She was anything
but. My favorite picture shows her hanging upside down from a tree
while her more demure peers sip tea from china cups.
As an adult she traveled all over the world. Not even an
infection robbing her of much of her hearing slowed her down. She did
things like sneaking out of fancy parties to go fishing, riding
elephants, and flying in a plane.
There came a time in her life when adventure alone was not
enough for her. She wanted to make a real difference. About that
time Boy Scouts and Girl Guides had started in England. She decided
American girls deserved nothing less. In Here Come the Girl Scouts
you'll learn how she transformed this dream into a reality that helped
shape many of our childhoods.
On a personal note, some of my favorite girlhood experiences centered
around Girl Scouts and camping. I know having this identity helped me
set a high bar for myself integrity wise. The first time I went to a
movie theater after turning twelve I paid the adult fare. The cashier
tried to talk me into passing for child's fare. I was so tiny and
young looking. I stood up to my full unimposing height, looked her in
the eye, and announced that girl scouts were honest.
A great big shout out goes out to the Girl Scout leaders who continue
to keep this wonderful program alive.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment