Sunday, September 13, 2026

The Story Of My Anger (YA novel in verse)

     Whether you're 14 or 74 or anywhere between or beyond and are alarmed and angered by the most recent wave of book banning that is sweeping America--targeting diversity, inclusion, and truth telling under the guise of protecting the children--you're going to love Jasminne Mendez's The Story Of My Anger and find yourself cheering for its valient protagonist. 
"Everything's bigger 
in Texas,
except the straight white Texan's ability 
to imagine a world where they are not 
the center of the universe 
which is why, I think, they keep making laws 
and keep changing the rules 
to keep the rest of us 'in our place'
to keep the rest of us 
small."
     Yulieta is a diligent, rule obeying girl. She's the only daughter of a single parent who has struggled with lupus for much of her life. It's a relentless autoimmune disease that gets better and worse. 
"But the worst thing for Mami's health 
is stress. So I do my best
to be the easy river she needs me to be
so the fire inside her stays quiet and calm 
and she stays healthy and out of the hospital."
      But there are two aspects of her school life that will make this commitment to not rocking the boat impossible. 
      There is the racism of her school's theater director who never casts actors of color in anything but bit parts. Yulieta is a talented and dedicated actress with Broadway aspirations. Despite a really good audition the part she tried for has been given to a white girl. 
"It's not my skin that's 
a problem, it's their lack of 
imagination."
     And then there's what happens with her favorite teacher, Mr. G., whose curriculum is considered too controversial and his readings too radical. He has to surrender his books to the school board for review and basically teach without them. 
"When Mr. G. says the school board 
wants to 'review his library,'

What he means is they want to
'Ban his books.'

When Mr. G. Says that the books
'contain controversial content,'

What he means is 'topics that make 
white conservatives uncomfortable.'"
     Yulieta has a brother in college who is an activist and film maker. He urges her to use her formidable talents to fight back. 
     What about her mom? Perhaps she could be more of an ally than Yulieta imagines.
     The Story Of My Anger belongs in all school and public libraries. Students who are already angry about the current situation will find it empowering. Students who haven't yet grasped what is going on will find it quite an eye opener. 
On a purrrsonal note, I am in the middle of an exciting weekend. Yesterday was Orono Festival Day. After Eugene and I went to Governors for breakfast I headed to Orono. In the morning Taylor and I were tabling for Black Bear Mutual Aid Fund. We took turns touring the crafts fair and the Friends of the Orono Public Library book sale. I bought 2 beautiful books at the crafts fair. You'd better believe I got me some books from Friends. I had a few free hours which I put to good use finishing the Squishmallow blanket I've been working on. Then there was a special potluck put on by Orono Thrift Store and Black Bear Mutual Aid Fund. People paid what they could afford. The food was delicious, especially Taylor's lasagna. People got to take home their bowls. I'd picked a really cute flowered one. It was a day of friendship and fun with purrrfect weather. I had a painted cat face. Today I am up at an ungodly hour to post this before Eugene and I go to Cape Elizabeth to celebrate my birthday ๐ŸŽ‚ ๐Ÿฅณ ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽˆ ๐ŸŽ ๐ŸŽŠ early with Katie, Jacob, Archie (their creamsicle cat), and Adam. It will surely be a day to remember!!!
A great big shout out goes out to all who participated in Orono Festival Day!!!
Jules Hathaway 


Sent from my Galaxy

No comments:

Post a Comment