Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Octopus Seahorse Jellyfish

Adult photonarrative
     Although many of us find seahorses enchanting, we tend to see octopuses πŸ™ (If you're mentally correcting me with octopi I googled octopus plural) and jellyfish πŸͺΌ much less so.  We certainly wouldn't lug hundreds of pounds of photography equipment around the world to capture their images.  Fortunately for us David Littschwager did just that.  The 189 pictures πŸ“Έ that are included in his book πŸ“– were chosen out of 135,000.  He was motivated by a fascination with the diversity of life, a drive and ability to find cleverly camouflaged creatures, and an evolutionary awareness of common ancestry.
     "When I remember that an πŸ™ has a more efficient eye πŸ‘ design than we humans have, I am persuaded that humans are maybe not the pinnacle of evolution, but an untidy work in progress."
     His pictures are amazing.  If you're anything like me, you'll be astounded by the diversity, complexity, individuality, and often beauty of these marine creatures.  In fact you could enjoy the book without reading πŸ“š a single word...
     ...but don't because succinct essays reveal fascinating details about these invertebrates and the mounting perils they face, not from fellow ocean dwellers, but from that "untidy work in progress."
On a purrrsonal note, yesterday was the first day, between the weather and my schedule πŸ“…, that I was able to volunteer πŸ™‹‍♀️ in the community garden.  It was also the first day for the library's children's garden club.  They're planting a pizza πŸ• toppings garden.  They added so much to our evening in the beautiful 😍 garden.  (Jules)
I got an extra meal because both my people fed me.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our child and adult gardeners.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment