Monday, October 17, 2022

No Voice Too Small

Juvenile nonfiction
"Meet fourteen young Americans who opened hearts, challenged minds, and changed our world.  Each activist Inspired a poet who relates to an aspect of the activist's identity.  Along the way, find tips for how you, too, can use your voice to make some noise and make a difference."
     When I was a teen I was passionately opposed to the war in Vietnam, racism, and capitalism and very concerned about the environment.  So were a lot of my friends.  The establishment was not amused.  We had been spoiled by our parents.  We were irresponsible.  We were a menace to the American way of life.
     Does that sound familiar?  Does the word snowflake ring a bell?
     No Voice Too Small: Fourteen Young Americans Making A Difference is a powerful refutation of the too young to get it lie.  Each two page spread features a picture of and information about a younger activist, a poem by a well known writer, and a gem of advice.  Readers will learn about:
*Ziad Ahmed who, having encountered prejudice growing up Muslim, created an online platform to enable acceptance of differences;
*Jasilyn Charger who is a water protector;
*Mari Copeny, who drew President Obama's attention to Flint, Michigan's contaminated drinking water;
*Marley Dias who collects books so Black girls like herself can see themselves in what they read;
and ten equally amazing change makers.
     This book is a wonderful way to empower younger activists in a world where too many adults refuse to take them seriously.  
On a purrrsonal note, my big weekend achievement was cutting down all the vegetation that was getting close enough to the trailer to run afoul of Cooperative rules.  We're not just talking grass and weeds.  More like branches and tree offshoots.  When Eugene got tired of me nagging he handed over the clippers.  I probably did a better job than he could have because of all the little spaces I could get into.  I celebrated my victory by reading outside while comparing Trolli watermelon sour brite crawlers and watermelon sour Patch kids.  So far I prefer Trolli, but I'll need quite a few more bags to make sure. ( Jules)
In the war of human vs vegetation human triumphs.  Or something like that. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene who handed over the clippers without making dire predictions of me cutting off my toes.  Maybe someday he'll share an axe or chainsaw.  
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment