Friday, September 18, 2020

Every Last Lie

Every Last Lie

Adult mystery
"A man stands before me, his words evasive and out of reach.
They float in the space between us like lightning bugs, flying swiftly
away as I try to gather them in my hands. 'Are you Mrs. Soldberg?' he
asks, and when I say that I am, he says, 'There's been an accident,
Ma'am.'"
Clara, protagonist of Mary Kubica's Every Last Lie, is in that
running on empty stage of new motherhood. Felix is a voraciously
hungry baby. As Clara is about to take her daughter, Maisie (4), to
ballet class he demands to be fed. Husband Nick takes on the ballet
run.
Only he never returns. A police officer notifies Clara that
there has been an accident. At the hospital she learns that Maisie is
fine. Nick will never regain consciousness. He's on a ventilator
until recipients can be located for organs and tissues.
The police say that Nick took a curve much too fast and slammed
into a tree. Clara believes that. Nick had a tendency to drive much
too fast. But then Maisie begins to have nightmares about a "bad man"
in a black car somehow being involved in the crash. Clara wonders if
the police have told her everything.
But then there are so many things Nick hasn't told Clara. His
dental business is tanking. A patient has filed a malpractice suit
and a protection order. He's taking unprescribed pills from his
medicine cabinet. A neighbor with anger management problems is
threatening him.
Mystery fans will want to join Clara in her pursuit of the truth.
On a purrrsonal note, looks like we're coming up on another weekend.
I hope your week was good. Mine was. I'm still keeping up with
statistics. At least I think I am. We'll see when the first
assignment is graded. I enjoy my phone talks with the kids, my cat
Tobago interrupting my studying by sitting on my textbook, the books
Emily gets me from the library, and my engagement in blogging,
crafting, and writing. If I let myself think about what I'm missing
in this new normal I feel sad. So I don't let myself. This Saturday
I will attend Amber's zoom Halloween party. Eugene will be at camp.
I may attend zoom church Sunday. Otherwise I'll be keeping engaged.
(Jules)
Of course I sit on the textbook. It's in my job description.
Studying too much without breaks can't be good for hoomans. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Amber, Katie, Adam, and their
partners who we look forward to zooming with tomorrow.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway





Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment