Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Spooked!

Spooked!

Juvenile/YA nonfiction
"During the next fifteen minutes, radio listeners throughout the
country heard the frightening updates. An invading army had attacked
New Jersey. Eyewitnesses described the killing of dozens of people--
state troopers, innocent bystanders, anyone who stood in the invaders'
way. The commentator at the scene was hit by a powerful weapon, his
entire body charred. New Jersey's state militia was deployed to
confront the enemy with seven thousand heavily armed infantry soldiers.
Later, an announcer grimly told the audience that the militia
had been overwhelmed in battle. Only 120 of the soldiers survived."
There's so much fake news these days that we tend to think of it
as a 21st century plague. However, hoaxes go way back, even further
back in history than when the controversial new media was the printing
press. One of the most famous ones happened Halloween Halloween
1938. America hadn't completely recovered from the Great Depression.
A hurricane had just hammered a considerable stretch of the East
Coast. News coming out of Europe was highly stressful. The highly
volatile national mood created the perfect storm when The War of the
Worlds was aired on the radio, the most popular medium in those
pretelevision years.
Gail Jarrow's Spooked! brings that famous incident to life for
readers who weren't yet born when it went down through a dynamic
combination of texts and photographs. The play by play narrative is
supplemented with historic background. The plot of the story and the
aftermath, including letters from listeners, are included. There is a
generous bibliography for those who want to learn more.
Of course we're more sophisticated now...
...or are we? Maybe reading the book can help answer this
question.
On a purrrsonal note, one thing I'm learning is not to try to do more
than I can handle in a state of grief. Actually I'm proud of the fact
that I'm only taking about fifteen minutes getting out of bed in the
morning and getting stuff done. I'm up to 3 meals a day even though
most food looks like off brand dog chow. I am confident that by my
next shift I'll be able to handle it even if it involves serving.
However, I was scheduled to sing my version of a favorite hymn at
church on the 25th. I listened to my brain which was screaming
NOOOOOOOOOOO! and backed out. I have to be focussing on getting ready
for the beginning of the semester. I am also not guilting that I
temporarily lost the ability to review. I read three books without
trying. I think I've found one that speaks to me. But if not, that's
what I have the stash for.
A great big shout out goes out to the best little cat in the world.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment