Thursday, August 8, 2019

So Tall Within

So Tall Within

Juvenile herstory
Gary Schmidt's evocative So Tall Within, vividly illustrated by
Daniel Minter, gives young readers the chance to learn the story of
Sojourner Truth. She was born Isabella into a family where most of
her siblings had been sold away. Eventually she, too, was sold away
to a series of abusive masters. Other heartbreaks followed.
Isabella was strong and had ideas on how her life should
change. Fifteen years after escaping from her master she changed her
name to Sojourner Truth and set off on an extrodinary journey.
This inspiring narrative can help children realize that even
people born with huge disadvantages can help to change the world.
On a purrrsonal note, the weather today featured torrential
downpours. (The weatherperson used that phrase three times in one run
on sentence.) My husband's boss gave his workers a rain day. I
wouldn't have been surprised if I'd seen a bearded dude working on a
wooden boat.
The weather mirrored my soul. Joey cat is slipping away. But he
still purrs and relaxes when I stroke him. Every one of those moments
is so precious! He can show me when he needs attention and when he
needs to sleep. I have asked at work if I can be in the dishroom
because customer service, usually my forte, feels like too much.
Food, even Wells food, has no appeal. It is hard to sleep not
knowing... So I have temporarily graduated to brandy.
A great big shout out goes out to the best little cat in the world who
loves me.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment