Sunday, April 2, 2023

How It Went Down

YA fiction 
     When I started reading Kekla Magoon's How It Went Down I realized that the names of the characters seemed very familiar.  The puzzle was solved when I realized that the they're also the characters in her much more recent Light It Up.  In that book there are allusions to the murder of Tariq Johnson.  How It Went Down is the story of his death and the community aftermath.  Like it's sequel, it's narrated by a wide range of community members.
     Tariq had been returning home from buying groceries for his mom and a candy bar for his little sister, Tina.  The storekeeper called out to him.  A man who thought he was a shoplifters grabbed him, only to back off when a white man with a gun approached them and fatally shot Tariq.
     After talking to the police the man who shot Tariq is allowed to walk.  He even gets to keep the murder weapon.  This does not sit well with neighborhood residents who know that it would have been a whole different story if a Black man had shot a white youth.  Activists plan a protest while gang members contemplate something else.  
     Readers will get to know some of the characters effected by the tragedy.  
     Tina, Tariq's kid sister, is developmentally delayed.  He'd always cared for her.  When he went to the store he'd buy her her her favorite candy bar.  She desperately misses him and can't quite understand the concept of death.
     Brick is the leader of the local gang.  He'd been courting Tariq for membership with plans of eventually making him his second in command.  With Tariq's death he's turned his attention to Tariq's best friend, Tyrell, thinking that bringing the slight, bookish boy into the gang's protection will be the best way to honor Tariq's memory.
     But Tyrell wants more than that out of life.  He's counting down the months til graduation when he can escape to college.  He has the grades to get him in.  Brick's attentions are a source of terror, not security.  It's hard to not become a gang member, but whatever Brick wants him to do would destroy his dreams.
     Reverend Alabaster Sloan, preacher turned politician, is running for office.  This incident may be just what what his lagging campaign needs.  "I need some magic potion, some pick-me-up to bring me back into the spotlight.  An issue to tout, a side to stand on, a moral high ground to stomp with my righteous foot."  He's flown in from DC to be the voice of the people.
     And there are so many others.
     This fine book and its equally fine sequel deftly describe how tragedies have ripple effects on entire communities.  I highly recommend them both.
On a purrrsonal note, last night's drag show was pure magic.  We packed out the biggest venue on campus: the Collins Center for the Performing Arts.  The crowd was pumped.  We had a wonderful variety of quite diverse acts.  I performed two solos and was in two ensemble numbers.  And when I was on I owned the stage.  I was lit.  And I was getting and returning so much love!  I also tried something new:  tossing bracelets and necklaces like at Mardi Gras.  The crowd loved that.  It was a truly enchanted night--always one of my favorite of the year.  Of course during April all of us drag artists will be campus celebrities.  I can live with that.  (Jules)
And she got home safely.  I can live with that.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to all who participated in this night to remember.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 


Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment