Friday, April 21, 2023

Breaking The Age Code

Adult nonfiction
    It was nine days after I got out of the hospital last year.  My infection had cleared up.  I was checking in with my urologist.  I asked if I'd be able to get back to my regular life.  She said yes and then confused me by listing stuff like walking around the block and maybe a little light gardening.  I interrupted her, saying, "Whose life are you describing?  It's not mine."  She put down her clipboard, looked me in the eye, and asked me to tell her about my life.  As I described my graduate school program, my job in dining, my volunteering and campus activities, and my passion for performing in drag shows her eyes widened and her polite smile morphed into a grin.
     Becca Levy (PhD), author of Breaking The Age Code, wouldn't have been surprised.
     I don't have to tell you that in America we tend to fear aging and to other older people.  We've been led to believe that from a certain point in life it's all downhill.  We give birthday cards replete with gallows humor.  We tell people that we haven't seen in years that they don't look a day older.  Advertisers prey on fear to sell products they claim will hold of "the ravages of time."
     Levy reminds us that the fallout from ageism goes a lot deeper than that.  Employers fire older workers and refuse to hire older job seekers, sure that they'll be unproductive.  Older people are increasingly segregated in housing.  Doctors deny potentially beneficial treatments on the basis of age.  As for counseling, it is rarely available.  The symptoms of clinical depression are seen as a normal part of aging.
     Based on extensive cross cultural research and anecdotal evidence, Levy debunks the inevitability of the all about decline myth.  People's cognition and beliefs are influenced by those of their society.  In turn their beliefs have an impact on their health and well being.  In fact people with more positive views of aging are more physically fit, less likely to get Alzheimers, and more heart healthy.  We even live longer.
     Luckily personal beliefs about aging aren't set in stone.  Levy gives plenty of advice on individual age liberation.  But she sees societal age liberation as at least equally important.  She frames ageism as a social justice issue much like racism or sexism.  She gives readers ways to join the much needed revolution.
     If you want to have a positive impact on your future self and the world you will age into you owe it to yourself to read this fine book.
On a purrrsonal note, it's been quite a busy and rewarding week.  I just finished fixing Eugene breakfast for supper.  I'd had Ukrainian food with my international student friends before I left school.  The high point for me was the clothes swap.  The data from the 37 people who filled out their surveys was excellent.  It gave clear cut information on how to improve the clothes swap next year.  It's hard to believe just one more week of school and finals.  This weekend will be all about homework and internship work and snuggling with precious Tobago.  (Jules)
I gets to be the snuggle buddy.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our readers with best wishes for a wonderful weekend.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment