Saturday, March 25, 2023

We Were Here

YA fiction 
     Miguel, narrator of Matt de la Pena's We Were Here, has been sentenced to a year in a group home following a serious unspecified crime.  He's supposed to keep a journal that will help a counselor figure out what makes him tick.  His first day there he is attacked by Mong, a Chinese boy with a badly scarred face.  He decides that he's going to do his time there solo, not getting involved with the other residents.  He passes the time there discovering the joy of reading.
     Only life has other plans for Miguel.  Mong asks him to join him in running away to Mexico.  Rondell, an illiterate, very religious Black teen wants in.
     Not surprisingly, the boys' plan falls apart the night of their escape.  Suddenly they're alone on a beach with no shelter, no idea how they'll get to their destination, and plenty of reason to suspect that when they're discovered missing the cops will be after them.
     It's an eye opening voyage of discovery for a boy who considers himself merely the sum of the worst thing he's ever done.
On a purrrsonal note, I ended up not going to the drag show audition Thursday night.  When  I saw that the weather was going to be crappy I asked if I could pass on it.  A lot of the dumb asses who drive on Route 2 don't adjust their driving for reduced visibility.  No sidewalk.  In my mind not getting hit by a car or truck is self care.  The person running it said yes because I nailed my numbers last year.  Then when Eugene and I were eating supper Adam called to say he was in the area and was going to stop by.  We and Tobago had a lovely visit with him.  I wicked lucked out that night.  (Jules)
I saw my Adam!!!  He is the best!!!  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our Adam.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 


Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment