Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Running On Empty

Juvenile fiction 
     AJ, protagonist of S. E. Durant's Running On Empty, is a runner.  He feels happiest when he's flying along, covering the distance.  It's a passion he and his grandfather share...
     ...until his grandfather dies right before he starts secondary school.  AJ is missing not only one of the most beloved people in his life, but the source of much of his stability.  Both of his parents have learning disabilities.  His mother does hold down a job.  But neither can handle stuff like making sure the bills are paid.  His grandfather took care of that...
     ...until he couldn't.  AJ's greatest fear has become a very real possibility.  If his school finds out that his grandfather is dead they might call social services in.  If social services decides that his parents aren't fit guardians they might remove him from his home.
On a purrrsonal note, yesterday felt like spring.  I wore a light jacket and no hat. This is actually not a good thing.  Too long of a warm spell can fool plants into early blooms before the inevitable late season snow storms.  I made a Goodwill and Hannaford run.  At Goodwill I bought a Christmas shirt and a Christmas sweater.  Just 7 1/2 months early.  At Hannaford I was amazed to find boxes of fruit gushers.  I hadn't been able to buy them.  I love those silly things.  I bought two boxes plus a tube of Pringles for March break snacking.  (Jules)
Next Hannaford run maybe she can stock up on the cat candy.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to my fellow students who are hopefully having fun and resting up for the last weeks of the school year.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment