Sunday, March 26, 2023

In Limbo

YA graphic memoir 
"About a fifth of my life was spent working on this graphic novel.  Since I began working on In Limbo in 2018, its drafts have seen two places of employment, three cities, four apartments, and a million and a half coffee shops.  The story, which began as a weekend project--a four-page comic on Twitter about transgenerational language barriers--evolved into a much-needed, over five-year therapy session that I can carry in my hands."
     In In Limbo Deb JJ Lee depicts her high school years which were definitely not the best years of their life.  They candidly share the ups and downs and the very real challenges of those years, challenges that will resonate with many high school readers.
     There is a lot of pressure to do better from her mother, a woman who tosses out statements like "You know that dentist's daughter skipped another grade and Yale might accept her already.  And she's playing at Carnegie Hall next month."  In one family car trip she announces that a C in [AP] physics isn't trying.  When Lee comments that other parents wouldn't be mad her mom comments, "Other parents?  Really?  Pathetic.  Now I really hope you aren't truly my child.  She'd know better than to kill me with shame like that."
     Her mother has had human services called on her for her treatment of her daughter.
     Then there's ethnicity.  She's Korean, having arrived in America as a very young child.  Teachers can be clueless.  Peers can be cruel.  Others seem to have a beauty she can never achieve.
     Mental illness plays a major role in Lee's narrative.  It led to an incident in eighth grade.  In high school she finds herself feeling overwhelmed again.  As an adult she doubts it will ever completely go away, but she has ways of managing it.
     This is another of those books where a graphic novel conveys much more than a text only narrative could.  Facial expressions and postures alone speak volumes.  And the palette of shades of greys enhances the sense of aloneness and sadness that permeates much of the book.  I highly recommend this illuminating volume not only to its target audience, but to college students and professionals who work with teens and young adults.
On a purrrsonal note, it's a good thing I'm keeping up with my homework.  Today I was working on a paper.  It was a messy, slushy morning.  Eugene didn't really want to stay inside.  So I wasn't surprised when he asked if I wanted to go for a ride.  We explored one of our favorite fun antique (as opposed to stuffy antique) places, got subs for lunch, and stopped at Goodwill.  We had fun and made some great finds.  Oh yeah,  six more days to the drag show.   You'd better believe I'm counting down. (Jules)
More yucky weather keeping the birds away.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 
     



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment