Sunday, November 3, 2019

Dog-Friendly Hikes In Maine

Dog-Friendly Hikes In Maine

Dog Lovers
If you are a dog's best buddy, you walk. A canine's gotta go in
all the adverse weathers Mother Nature sees fit to dish out in Maine.
That's the number one (bad pun intended) reason my kids never had any
man's best friends. Litter boxes stay inside.
Some people have something a little more ambitious than the
water a tree, squat and deliver rounds in mind for special occassions
or just time off. I can see my wonderful manager, Anna, leading her
canine chums through this season's dazzling fall foliage forests and
being in seventh heaven. So when I saw Aislinn Sarnacki's Dog-
Friendly Hikes In Maine at the Orono Public Library, I just had to
check it out.
Sarnicki is just the person to write this book. She's the human
companion of Oreo, an adorable shelter dog. (Reviewer's note:
remember when it comes to dogs and cats, adoption is the best way to
get a furever friend). She's also an outdoors reporter for the Bangor
Daily News, doing her best to get us out into nature. You can tell
she's passionate about her vocation. And her passion is contagious.
Her voice is intimate and conversational. You get the sensation of
getting together over a cup of coffee. And, like some reviewer I
know, she includes personal notes.
The thirty-five hikes cover much of Maine from the Big City
(Portland) to pretty darn close to the border with Canada. Some are
in the hearts of cities; others are out in the boonies where moose
probably outnumber humans. Each starts with a map and a set of
standard bullet points covering topics such as difficulty, cost, dog
rules, access, and how to get there. Then the fun part starts.
There's a narrative of features and useful information. Finally there
are dog friendly businesses including canine comfy lodging and
personal notes.
For anyone who is tempted to skip the first few chapters and get
right down to the hiking particulars, don't. There are a lot of
considerations that should enter in deciding whether to let your dog
off leash. There is nice specific information on taking care of
canine crap and packing all the accoutrements your dog could need.
And you have to know how to protect your dog and yourself from ticks.
So if you're like Anna, you'll really want to get your hands on
this book. Considering all the joy you and your dogs can get out of
it it's a very wise investment. Actually you don't have to be a doggy
daddy or mommy to enjoy it. I think next time I'm visiting my younger
daughter I'll suggest the Portland hike.
On a purrrsonal note, this has been a mixed weekend. Saturday I went
to Sweet Frog (a frozen yogurt place) with some friends. That was so
much fun! I'm slowly managing to supplement graduate school and work
with volunteering and social life.
Today while cleaning I found another of Joey cat's jingle bells and
felt my heart falling to pieces. Again. They were his favorite
toys. He loved batting them back and forth with me or chasing them at
fever pitch from one end of the trailer to the other. I can see him
so clearly in my mind's eye. Veterans Day will be the three month
anniversary of his death. I am trying not to think ahead to what
might be my first catless Christmas in sixteen years.
People, if you're lucky enough to have your cat or dog still with you,
never neglect them or take them for granted. Cherish each precious
day with them as I did. Because they deserves no less. And you never
know...
Great big shout outs go out to all who rightly treasure their dog and
cat companions and to the best little cat in the world who left big
paw prints on my broken heart.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment