Friday, February 22, 2019

What The Hell Do You Have To Lose?

What The Hell Do You Have To Lose?

"His [Trump's] colorful speeches to racous white crowds conjured
scary pictures of black neighborhoods full of gunfire and desperation
that threatened white people, risked infecting white neighborhoods,
and required support for police, even bad police, who had to cope with
those out-of-control black folks. 'I mean, honestly, places like
Afghanistan are safer than some of our inner cities,' he said."
During his election campaign and the first years of his
presidency Donald Trump has been playing to the folks who want America
to be a whites only club. Hate groups have been multiplying. The
Internet is full of racist rants. Addressing prospective black voters
as to why they should vote for him, he had this to say: What the Hell
do you have to lose? In a book by that exact title Juan Williams
answers that question: a Hell of a lot!
Williams breaks his narrative into six strands: voting rights,
education, public accomodations, black voices, employment, and
housing. In each he describes a history of painstaking and heroic
struggles to gain basic rights for minorities and very real progress
that suddenly is in jeopardy thanks to you know who in the White House.
What Do You Have To Lose? is a much needed wake up call for our
nation: a must read for blacks and allies.
On a personal note, this past week has been rich and rewarding for
me. Assessment continues to fascinate me. I am so proud of the
survey I created for homework. Someday I plan to actually use it in
researching student worker retention in dining services. Work is
going great. The low point of my week was losing my watch during my
morning commute. The high points were the social at the multicultural
lounge where we feasted on Chinese food and discussed what being a
good ally means and seeing my survey all printed out. I am some proud
of it.
I'm having times I feel really confident in my abilities. Like yes I
belong in my program. Yes I will get that degree. My classmates give
me a lot of encouragement.
And Jodi is still in my life even though she doesn't have to be.
I think the Red Cross would have to reject my blood because it feels
like champagne running through my veins.
A great big shout out goes out to my classmates, Jodi, and my partner
and his blizzard battling coworkers.
jules hathaway




Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment