Sunday, February 24, 2019

Four Feet, Two Sandals

Four Feet, Two Sandals

Picture book,
Our kids have shoes for school, for play, for parties, for
hobbies such as ballet or baseball... They and we take shoe ownership
pretty much for granted. So Karen Lynn Williams and Khadra Mohammed's
Four Feet, Two Sandals can provide an intriguing look into the world
of the refugee camp.
Lina has not had shoes for two years. When relief workers
distribute used clothes she finds a yellow sandal with a blue flower
that fits her perfectly.
The next day, as Lina is scrubbing clothes in a stream, the girl
with the matching sandal, Feroza, places it at her feet and starts to
walk away. Her grandmother has told her wearing one sandal is stupid.
Lina has a better idea. You'll have to read the book to see
what it is.
On a purrrsonal (Joey cat is lying across my shoulders singing
contentedly) tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the whole year.
February 25, 1993 I was awake for the C section delivery of my second
daughter, Katie. It was amazing to see the little being who had been
growing inside me. Needless to say, it was love at first sight. Now
twenty-six years later Katie is all anyone could hope for in a
daughter: smart, hard working, ethical, kind, funny...even a book
lover like her admittedly geeky mom.
I posted this one day early because I have the luxury of being home,
in my cozy studio as cold winds whip around the house. Tomorrow I
need to spend much of the day in UMaine's Fogler Library working on an
annotated bibliography for class and then work the supper shift at
Wells.
A great big shout out goes out to Katie with best wishes for a
rewarding and exciting year with at least a few magic moments.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment