Sunday, February 17, 2019

A Few Red Drops

A Few Red Drops

YA nonfiction
"The rage didn't appear out of nowhere that day on the beach.
It had been a long time coming, born in the city's beginnings, written
in the countless daily interactions of ordinary citizens and city
leaders. Black migrants from the South clashed with white immigrants
from Europe; laborers and union leaders struggled to hold their own
against mighty industrialists; police and gang members strove to
control the streets; Democratic aldermen and a Republican mayor faced
off over patronage and power. This is the story of their conflicting,
built over time, layer upon layer, ultimately exploding in bloodshed
on the city's streets. It is also America's story."
Clare Hartfield brings readers another chapter in history we
probably didn't get taught in school with her A Few Red Drops: The
Chicago Race Riot of 1919. On a hot, muggy day (July 27) four black
Chicago teens floating on a raft in Lake Michigan drifted to a stretch
of beach considered whites only. A white man started throwing rocks
at them. One boy, Eugene Williams, was struck and killed. A police
officer ignored demands to arrest the culprit. Nights of violence
ended with 38 deaths and 537 people being wounded.
But the troubles didn't arise out of nowhere. Hartfield takes
readers back to the middle of the 19th century and, in a richly
illustrated narrative, tracks the trends that led to the tragedy. Her
fine book is a must read for all of us who want to catch up on all the
history not included in out whitewashed high school textbooks.
On a personal note, I probably could have gone to church, but I was so
tired of battling the elements to get around I wanted one day I didn't
have to set foot out of my home. Well I did as much homework as I
could without a trip to Fogler (UMaine) Library and then...
...realized I'm really scared. I knew Jodi's last day was
Friday and we're getting a new manager. But I was too rushing around
busy to ponder on it until the realization hit me like a stack of
bricks. This week he will be there.
On an intellectual level I can see that the transition will
probably be nothing but benign.
But my feelings do a good job of ignoring all that. With Jodi
we could go to work and know what to expect. A manager has so much
influence in stuff like whether a work place feels safe, whether it's
empowering and inspiring or hierarchical and stiffling, whether people
pull together as a team or have to fight for small favors. Some of
the non student workers and supervisors have told me manager horror
stories. I have no clue what working in Wells will be like going
forward. That's scary. And with the presidents day holiday my
imagination has about 23 more hours to torture me.
Have you ever gone through a transition like that?
A great big shout out goes out to my fellow workers with whom I will
go through the transition. I hope for all of our sakes my worries
will be much ado over nothing.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment