Saturday, June 16, 2018

Teenie

Teenie

YA fiction
"He pulls my arm so that I'm forced to lean forward. He's going
to make me do it, whether I want to or not. I look up at him, hoping
that the fear in my eyes will convince him to change his mind. I can
see that if I don't do it he might hurt me. It seems like my fear
makes him more excited, because his smile gets bigger the more scared
I am."
Martine, protagonist of Christopher Brown's Teenie, is worried
about her best friend. Cherise is accepting all kinds of expensive
gifts from someone she only knows online. She believes his claim that
he's a nice guy college student. Martine is afraid that their
eventual meetup will seriously endanger Cherise.
But Cherise may not be the only one in peril. The school
football star who is showing a sudden interest in Martine may not have
her best interests at heart.
Teenie is an insightful story about an all too relevant topic.
On a personal note, tonight is a very big night for me. I'll be
reading 40 minutes of my poetry at Artsapalooza. Too Cool Jules (my
performing name) is gonna own my venue.
Otherwise I'm working any hours I can get, looking for child and
animal sitting and odd jobs, and collecting returnables. I've cut my
"discretionary" spending to $1 for church collection plate most
weeks, maybe a few quarters at the thrift shop. Especially with Joey
cat's medical expenses (and you know I'm not gonna neglect my best
little buddy) I'll probs have no idea if I'll be able to make tuition
in September until September. If I start part time I'll be fine
because I'll have guaranteed hours during the school semester. No
pressure there, huh?
A great big shout out goes out to everyone who will participate in
Artsapalooza tonight. We need more of these events where people share
creativity and celebrate together instead of being seperate and
tethered to devices.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment