Sunday, June 10, 2018

A Better Life

A Better Life

DVD
I just watched A Better Life. It put tears in my eyes and fire
in my heart. I want you to watch it. I want you to get mad as Hell.
Those of us who are parents want the opportunity for our
children to have good lives. We do what it takes to make that
happen. My husband and I didn't want our children to succomb to the
learned helplessness that is so pervasive in our neighborhood. I
didn't want our daughters to become teenage mothers. He wanted better
than construction work for our son.
The one thing that differentiates us from Carlos, protagonist of
A Better Life, is the good luck of being born on the more fortunate
side of the border. Carlos works dangerous, taxing, under the table
jobs. His 14-year-old son is the light of his life. He is very
vigilent in making his son stay in school and out of gangs.
A boss who is going back to Mexico offers to sell Carlos his
truck. At first Carlos is reluctant, sure that to stay in the States
he must remain as invisible as possible and stay off the ICE radar.
But he begins to dream. Maybe with more money he can move to a better
neighborhood with the promise of better schools for his only child.
In what has to be one of the most heartbreaking scenes in all
filmdom, Carlos and his son sit helplessly in the truck with red and
blue lights flashing and a police officer asking for license and
registration.
I'm confused. Don't we have this iconic statue, a friendship
gift from France, inviting the world to send us its tempest tossed?
If Lady Liberty could get off her pedestal (paid for by school
children's pennies), she'd get herself a lawyer and sue this country
for breach of promise.
What would you do if the only way to get a safe, decent life for
your children was to break the law?
On a personal note, I worked this weekend. UMaine hosted the Special
Olympics. So they needed food service people. I couldn't imagine
serving a more gracious, polite group. I think much of the
neurotypical world could really learn from them. One of the meals was
a cookout on the mall. That was especially fun. It was a perfect day
for a cookout--sunny and breezy. I love my job. The people I get to
work with are kind, thoughtful, and welcoming. The things I do are
things I've done as a volunteer so often. At least once a shift I
think, "They're paying me for this!!!" And the pay will enable me to
be in the academic program of my dreams. I gotta be one of the
luckiest two spirits in Penobscot County!!!
A great big shout out goes out to my new work family, especially Anna
gave me this wonderful opportunity.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment