Thursday, April 12, 2018

Many Moons

Many Moons

Picture book
Through much of human history people have used the phases of the
moon as a guideline on when to conduct certain activities. People
would plant, harvest, and hunt in accordance with this information.
Today, sadly, most people go through life without noticing our moon's
changing appearance. Remi Courgeon's Many Moons gives parents and
teachers a beautiful way to raise children's interest.
In a series of lively pictures, each moon phase is paired with
an object of a similar shape. Jenny the hen lays an egg. Melody
feels her unborn baby kicking. Edward makes a batch of croissants.
My favorite phase is when the moon looks like Simon the cat's tail.
Monochromatic illustrations with the selective use of yellow for only
the moon and its matching object draws the attention of younger
readers and listeners to the central message of the book.
This is not a book to read and set aside. Children can be
encouraged to keep a moon log over a period of time and/or to find
their own objects that correspond to its phases. Parents can share
moon phase advice found in almanacs and other traditional
periodicals. Learning about the moon's phases can be a stepping stone
to finding out more about our planet's lone satellite.
When it comes to using Many Moons as a stepping stone to further
learning (Admit it. You saw this coming a mile away.) the sky's the
limit.
On a personal note, we're in one of the times of the year when
maintaining a mixed (academia/real world) marriage can be a
challenge. It's a question of which of the things I should go to can
I safely ditch.
Yesterday I was doing due dilligence on seeking grad school funding.
I went to the UMaine scholarship fair and then to a program the Career
Center put on about resumes and cover letters. I got valuable info at
both. Then to unwind I went shopping at Black Bear Exchange for a
dress for next Friday's Lavendar Prom. I found a sweet layered blue
number on which I did not spend a cent. People are asking what I'll
wear for jewelery, how I'll do my hair. I'm loving it. When I
envisioned my post child raising life back when the kids were shorter
than me a prom was not what I envisioned.
A great big shout out goes out to the folks who put on the scholarship
fair for all the work they did and the Career Center for their fine
presentation.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment