Friday, April 20, 2018

Big Machines

Big Machines

Juvenile biography
As a tomboy I needed action and excitement in my picture books.
I was also quite a fan of animals and other nonhuman entities rocking
qualities like perseverance (Little Engine That Could) and loyalty.
Two of my favorite volumes introduced me to Mary Anne the steam shovel
and Katy the tractor who plowed out a snowed in town. I loved how
those girl named machines rocked power.
Decades passed. Books went in and out of style. I gave birth
to children whom I introduced quite early to public libraries. One
day, among all the newer arrivals, I rediscovered my two valient
friends and was able to share them with Amber, Katie, and Adam.
I bet in your childhood you encountered Virginia Lee Burton's
timeless stories. Even wonder about the writer behind them? Sherri
Duskey Rinker's Big Machines is a perfect way to introduce our younger
readers to her world.
Jinnee (Virginia Lee) is shown as a person of magic: a dancer
artist, writer, and mother of two beloved sons. In illustrations that
place her beloved big machines on the same page with herself and her
boys, who were her inspiration, you catch the connection and intimacy,
the joy behind their being brought to life.
Big Machines is a sweet read for children, families, and the
many fans of Mary Anne and Katie. If you're a parent, it might just
inspire you to create your own family magic.
On a personal note, my life feels magical today. A gentle spring rain
is falling. My 3" tall dafodills are slurping it up through their
roots. I stuffed my unicorn Wednesday. Starry Starry Night (named
after a cat who was named after a song and painting) is white with
purple sparkly hooves, horn, and mane and purple and white starry
wings. Incredibly soft. Tonight I have drag show rehearsel and the
Lavendar Prom. Tomorrow is the Drag Show. I'll be performing Cabaret.
A great big shout out goes to all who are celebrating Pride Week and
working toward a world in which people of all sexual preferences and
gender identities are safe, welcome, and valued.
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment