Monday, April 2, 2018

Grit

Grit

YA/adult fiction
"I swore I wouldn't come back here this summer, not to Mrs.
Wardwell's foghorn voice and blisters the size of nickels. But when I
went down to Gaudreau's Take-Out on the last day of school and asked
for an application, you know what Mr. Gaudreau said? 'Sorry, honey
pie, this is a family business.' Honey pie? Hell, I could sling Rocky
Road faster than his girls, and I'd always offer jimmies. They're
wicked tight with jimmies at Gaudreau's."
From the very first paragraph of Gillian French's Grit, the
authentic voice of her narrator explodes out of the pages. Nothing
generic or wishy washy about Darcy Prentiss. You get a solid sense of
time and place. In my humble opinion that's your favorite flavor of
Sweet Frog frozen yogurt with every type of topping your little heart
desires. If you get your hands on this book, you are in for one sweet
treat.
The where Darcy didn't see herself coming back to is the
blueberry barrens. She's raking berries with her sister, Mags, and
their special cousin, Nell. It's a sorta dramatic family. Nelle and
her mom, Libby, live in a trailer on the grounds of the house where
Darcy, Mags, and their mother live. Libby, who dresses "...like a
Pentecostal, even though we're all lapsed Catholics..." is always
criticizing and sniping everyone else. She's especially antagonistic
toward Darcy, fearing she will need Nell astray. Darcy knows Nell has
experienced far more than Libby could ever imagine.
There's a shadow darkening the barrens this year. The last day
of the season before a local girl, a former friend of Darcy,
disappeared. No trace of her has been found. Many locals think a
migrant is to blame. A police officer thinks Darcy knows more than
she's willing to tell. (Racism, nativism, and classism are story
themes. The novel format makes it an engaging way to open up
discussions.)
And then there's the matter of the Bay Festival Princess
competition. Nell is over the moon at being nominated, Darcy a lot
less enthusiastic. Nell can't understand why she isn't jazzed.
"How can I explain to her that this is somebody'd screwed up
idea of a joke? Darcy Prentiss, White Trash Princess. Whoever they
are, they must be laughing their asses off...Doesn't matter; no way am
I making a fool of myself up on that stage come August 19."
(Brings back less than fond memories of my first run for school
committee in a town where people called me trailer park trash and made
snide remarks like "Your children look so much alike. You'd almost
think they had the same father.")
Except she will be. How else will she keep an eye on Nell and
stand between her and any danger that may arise.
French is a very promising new talent in YA lit. I can't wait
to see what she comes up with next.
On a personal note, I had a really great Easter weekend. Saturday was
my achievement day. I made huge strides in spring cleaning and
organizing and wrote 14 1/2 poems. Sunday I chilled. Eugene and I
went to the in-laws. Katie came up from Portland and Amber and Brian
from Orono. It was great to spend precious time with them. I also
gave my self some extra reading, cat cuddling, and candy eating time.
Now it's back to school starting with a visit to my new career center
friends. Wish me luck in nailing that legendary day job.
A great big shout out goes out to my amazing children, their baby
daddy who is also my legally wedded husband, and their wonderful
significant others, and all our good family cats.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment