Saturday, September 20, 2014

Goodnight iPad

Goodnight iPad

Picture book
I just borrowed one of the most frightening books I ever read
from the Orono Public Library. No, it was not penned by my birthday
twin, Mr. Stephen King, who will hopefully be doing something fun to
celebrate Sunday. :)
Goodnight iPad, penned under the pseudonym of Ann Droyd by an
unidentified award winning writer) is supposed to be a light hearted
parody of the beloved Goodnight Moon. In my mind it's anything but.
If you carefully study the pictures as you read the text you will see
why.
The story is set in a rather large household. As it begins,
night has fallen. Still every member is using one of the myriad forms
of electronic media. Finally a fed up old woman, grandmother maybe,
trying unsuccessfully to sleep, takes matters into her own hands and
begins collecting and turning off the devices. The others cry, plead,
and even physically try to restrain her.
What's wrong with this picture? Where do I start? Even babies
are using electronic devices which are not good for our youngest
children. The child with a facebook account is nowhere near the age
limit of 13 but able to access plenty of age inappropriate content.
Everyone including the father (tie, business shirt, and cocktail) and
mother (business suit) becomes distraught when the devices are shut
down. Beyond that not being a pretty picture, I find it alarming that
human communication only happens when the others are begging the old
woman not to take their instruments of addiction away.
Yes, the behaviors are exaggerated. Unfortunately real life is
a lot closer to fiction than I'd like. When a mother pushes her
beautiful toddler on a swing with her eyes on her iPhone, when a
father misses his child's soccer goal because he's texting, when
parents complain to Dear Abby about nude photos showing up on a 5-year-
old's Facebook page, I can't help thinking, "What the heck?" OK not
heck.
The author dedicates this book to all the folks who are as
"hopelessly plugged in" as she is. The word hopelessly bothers me.
In my mind when electronic devices come to rule one's life instead of
fitting in as useful implements, that is not a good thing. I know too
many people with serious addictions.
On a personal note, recently while I shelved in the children's wing of
the Orono Public Library I saw a truly beautiful sight. A group of
moms was sitting on the floor, deeply and meaningfully engaged with
each other, their children, and the other mom's children. Impromptu
puppet shows were watched and applauded. Little adventurers were
redirected from potentially dangerous pursuits. Eye contact was the
rule, not the exception. I told these moms they were giving their
children a precious gift many of their peers miss out on.
A great big shout out goes out to all who use electronic media in a
mindful, rather than hopelessly plugged in way and rock the real world.
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment