Monday, September 15, 2014

A Long Way Home

A Long Way Home

Autobiography
Many of us have had anxious moments losing sight of our children
for even a few minutes. Those of us with memories that go way back
can recall moments of true childhood panic, unable to find adult
family members, surrounded by strangers. Now imagine how it would
feel to be adrift in one of the hugest, most dangerous cities at the
age of five. Or better yet, read Saroo Brierly's A Long Way Home.
This amazing book documents a riveting real world saga of courage and
luck and reminds us of the true meaning of family.
Brierly was born into an impoverished single parent family in
the slums of India. Home was a mud and cowpat floored single room
infested with mice and insects. Hunger was his constant, unwanted
companion. Children at early ages went out scavanging for food and
ways to earn small change.
One day an older brother let Brierly come along to a neighboring
town. Left at a railroad station, he ended up trapped in a train to
Calcutta. There he had to not only constantly search for food and
places to sleep, but to stay out of the clutches of equally destitute
gangs and the adults who would sell them into slavery, prostitution,
or worse.
When a caring person turned Brierly in to a police station his
luck took a turn for the better. After officials tried unsuccessfully
to locate his family he was freed for adoption. Taken in by a family
in Tasmania, he was able to lead a life he could previously dream of.
But he never forgot his beloved birth family or his need to locate them.
On a personal note, one of my more vivid childhood memories concerns
my sister, Harriet, getting lost. We were with our father at the
college library where he worked. I guess she wandered off. It was a
hot, muggy day. When Dad discovered she was missing he was running
what seemed like everywhere, pulling me by the arm and yelling at me
because I couldn't run fast enough. When we arrived at a police
station I was on the verge of collapse. There was Harriet eating a
big bowl of ice cream. Dad was ready to take her and leave. I stood
up to my full unimpressive height and announced that it was NOT FAIR!
I was the one who had behaved. I had to be dragged all over and
yelled at. I was not going anywhere until I had my ice cream! Hey, I
was into the occuppy movement before it existed! Whether I was
convincing or obviously on the verge of heat stroke is anyone's
guess. All I know is the police officers agreed and granted my wish.
A great big shout out goes out to all who search for lost children and
provide safe havens for street kids.
Julia Emily Hathaway




Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment