Tuesday, September 2, 2014

First Love

First Love

YA novel
When you think of James Petterson--his juvenile and YA works
that is--you probably think adventure or humor. I can't think of any
other author who has done so much to demystify middle school. I never
expected him, despite his amazing versatility to touch my heart. In
his First Love, written with Emily Raymond, he proves me very wrong.
Axi Moore, teen age narrator, described by her best friend,
Robinson as the word nerd, is the last one you'd expect to ditch
school and her life for an epic coast-to-coast road trip. She's saved
her money from nearly five years instead of splurging on electronics
and clothes. Cutting a couple of classes makes her feel "jittery".
Unlikely or not, before you know it she and Robinson have taken
off on a hot-wired motorcycle. It's only the first of the vehicles
they "borrow" on their journey. Sneaking into a swimming pool,
sleeping wherever they are at night--a tent, a car, a stripper's
apartment...they're living for the day, not thinking to much into the
future.
There's a very bittersweet reason, though. It unfolds gradually
as you read the book, making First Love truly poignant and
unforgettable.
On a personal note, yesterday I put up three meals worth of green
beans. It was the first time I froze veggies. I was quite pleased
with myself. Today is community garden and hopefully I'll get more
beans.
A great big shout out goes out to my community garden gang and other
growers of organic produce.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment