Monday, February 24, 2014

Words with Wings

Words with Wings

Juvenile fiction
In our No Child Left Behind/Race To The Top pressured school
system kids who day dream rather than excel in memorizing facts and
filling in bubbles on standardized tests are often misunderstood. If
they only focus, get down to business, become organized... Too often
they'd seen as defective, drugged, and labeled. In a system where
standardized test scores are increasingly tied to the fates of
teachers, admin, and even entire schools, it's understandable, but not
right. We need people who can think both ways: out of the box
dreamers as well as incrementalists...
...so I was delighted to read Nilki Grimes' Words with Wings,
told very appropriately in graceful free verse. Protagonist Gabby was
named after the Angel Gabriel in a compromise between her parents. In
a very short poem she muses:
"Mom names me for a
creature with wings, then wonders
what makes my thoughts fly."
Her sensible mom and dreamer dad have broken up. She wonders if
she'll be teased and ostracized by her peers and misunderstood by her
teacher in her new school. You see many words come alive for her with
vivid memories and associations. Other people just don't get it...
"...To these kids,
I'm not Gabby yet.
I'm just Shy Girl
Who Lives
Inside Her Head.
No one even knocks
on the door
for a visit.
They don't know
it's beautiful
in here"
What a wonderful affirmation for kids (and adults) who dance to the
music of a different orchastra!
On a personal note, I'm probably the person Gabby would grow up to
be. Words carry me away too when I'm doing tedious stuff like cooking
or dishes. It's why I sometimes forget to make a phone call or don't
realize the rice is about to burn. It's also why I'm a good poet and
and why I'm gifted at book reviewing and op ed writing. I can bring
words and concepts together in ways most people wouldn't think to do.
I can also look beyond what is happening to see what has the potential
to happen. That's why, in my mind, Gavin being Veazie School
Committee Chair and me being Vice Chair is the perfect leadership
combo. Gavin is highly skilled in budget and finance and other
matters involving very big numbers. He has an incredible memory for
detail and protocol, taking care of business. In other words I can't
think of anyone more suited to navigate through budget season. I, on
the other hand, am best with words and people and stepping back to
look at a really big picture. That's why my subcommittee domains are
policies and professional discussions which is a fancy way to say
teachers and board members talking about matters of mutual interest
and concern. That is also why I was the one to choose us for the
roles and get people to vote that way. Actually when we were part of
the RSU I chose all but the first Chair. That's why they called me
the kingmaker. Pretty good for a growed up Gabby.
A great big shout out goes out all thinkers of both kinds who realize
we can really work together.
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment