Monday, February 24, 2014

Kennedy's Last Days

Kennedy's Last Days

YA non fiction
I think I had been sent to run an errand. This was back in my
old school days. I saw a terrifying sight. My huge, ancient, tough
as nails maiden lady principal who could scare sixth grade boys into
behaving was crying. When I got back to the classroom my teacher was
sending the class home early without saying why. Now remember this
was in the cold war days. We were taught to duck under desks in case
the Russians dropped a bomb like the ones we'd used to end the war. I
was sure it had been decided we should get to say good bye to mom and
dad before our young lives were cut short by nuclear annhialation. I
admit to breathing a sigh of relief when my mom explained that
President Kennedy had been assassinated, the alternate prospect being
so much more scary.
Bill O'Reilly was in high school religious class when he and his
peers received the news via loudspeaker. Along with his parents he
experienced the nation's mourning via tv. But sports and took up a
lot more of his attention back then. It wasn't until later that he
developed an interest in politics--an interest that led him to write
Kennedy's Last Days: The Assassination That Defined A Generation.
Actually the book covers a lot more than Kennedy's last days.
O'Reilly, in his epilogue, says: "...He was president for only 1,036
days. Who knows what he might have accomplished if he had lived? His
death filled the country with sorrow because he represented a grand
American vision of pride, fairness, and service to his country.". The
text goes back to his childhood and service in World War II. A number
of the issues he dealt with and difficult divisions he had to make in
his all too short presidency are covered. An underlying thread
throughout the text is the factors that contributed to Kennedy's
strength of character.
I think this is a really good book with which to introduce young
people to Kennedy's presidency. He is shown not only as the Chief of
State who faced the potential of war with the Soviet Union, but as the
proud father who treasured time spent with his family. Generous
background gives kids a good idea of what it was like growing up back
in the day.
On a personal note, I'm greatly enjoying having Adam home for February
break.
A great big shout out goes out to teachers, staff, and admin who
hopefully are enjoying this week...and of course their students.
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment