Monday, February 24, 2014

Angeli Perrow

Angeli Perrow

Picture book and juvenile fiction
If Maine author Angeli Perrow were to never speak to me again
she'd be amply justified. Late last year she sent me review copies of
her latest books. Only the house was in the chaotic state of make
room for Christmas tree. The package sort of disappeared. Then every
time I looked for it something came up. Today starting spring
cleaning I found it! Yay! And the books are totally excellent.
Angeli is a lighthouse lover par excellence. Her earliest
stories were about the adventures of lighthouse dogs. Her newest
picture book: Love from the Sky: Seamond and the Flying Santa takes
readers into the life and longings of a beautiful little girl growing
up on an isolated island In a lighthouse keeper's family in an era
when television and materialism hadn't exerted a corrosive grasp on
kids' souls and one special toy in connection with an active
imagination could mean the world. What makes the story even more
magical and enchanting is that it really happened.
Like other lighthouse children, Seamond dreams all year of a
visit from Flying Santa. One year she writes a letter asking for
something really special. Sadly, the china doll she receives is
dropped on a rock and breaks.
Despite initial disappointment, Seamond makes the best of
things. With the help of her dad she bandages Molly who becomes her
constant companion. They and Rex (Angeli does have a thing for dogs)
help with chores and lighthouse maintenance, explore the ocean, and
play make believe. Then one day she receives heart breaking news.
The lighthouse is condemned and scheduled to be torn down.
How will Santa ever find her when Christmas rolls around?
The book cover claims it's for children from 4 to 10. I'd
expand the category a little--4 to 104. If you have a human soul you
will be touched deeply, even if you're closer to collecting social
security than starting first grade. If you look at the back lower
left hand corner you will notice that profits from the book go towards
flying Santa flights. If that isn't the total cat's pajamas, I don't
know what is.
I hadn't guessed that Angeli had expanded into chapter books.
(Of course those years when I was on a team working on building a
regional school unit out of three separate towns a lot flew under my
radar.). Not surprisingly she has made the transition with grace and
class. I can't imagine a mystery loving child not savoring The
Buccaneer's Key which combines a good adventure with an intriguing
glimpse into Florida's pirate past.
A transparant looking man dressed in old fashioned attire who
disappears more quickly than a mortal could, a little boy whose
invisible friend has the same name as a pirate's young son, a key that
may be connected with missing treasure: cousins Nick and Mandy
quickly learn that their vacation trip to Florida will be anything but
ordinary. Oh, yeah, the kid with the mysterious chum is sure his
treasure hunter parents are captured, not dead. The kids have a lot
to accomplish and not much time.
Readers in the target age (8-12) are often quite partial to
series fiction. So it's a good thing The Buccaneer's Key is the
fourth featuring the intrepid duo. :)
On a personal note, Angeli and I go way back to when my kids were
little and she was getting her first books published. I remember her
sending Katie birthday gifts. So I can say that in addition to being
a gifted writer, she is one of the most down-to-earth, funny, kind
people you could ever hope to meet. Those are traits I plan to take
advantage of. I am going to bug the Orono librarians to tell me when
this year's children's wing Christmas party will be. If I can get
Angeli to read her book and I can come up with cookies in a relevant
shape and reprise my role as Santa's little elf, won't that be the
total cat's pajamas?
A great big shout out to all kids living in remote areas of the world
due to parent's careers.
Julia Emily Hathaway





Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment