Friday, September 20, 2013

The Giant

The Giant

Juvenile history
Like probably most of us, when Bernie Madoff's humungous Ponzi
scheme that stole tens of billions of dollars was uncovered, Jim
Murphy was "...appalled and mesmerized by the monumental size of
Madoff's theft...". Unlike most of us, he thought of writing a book
about the scandal and discarded the idea. It was too recent with much
unknown. He considered writing about the original Ponzi schemer,
Charles Ponzi, but found him and his shenanigans too boring for his
readers. He wanted a fraud that was colorful and larger than life.
Then he remembered the Cardiff Giant.
The Giant And How He Humbugged America looks at a spectacle that
had people mesmerized during a pre Internet, pre television time in
American history. While digging for a well on a farm in 1869, workers
discovered a large foot shaped stone that was part of a 10' 4" long
body. News began to spread by word of mouth. The curious began to
arrive in droves and pay for the privilege of viewing this massive
being. The story went 19th century viral--it was printed in the
nation's major newspapers.
Scientific experts were quick to proclaim the giant an authentic
aniquity. Although most people considered their word good enough, not
everyone was convinced. Some began to suspect that the American
public was being bamboozled and flimflammed. (Gotta love a review
that let's me use both these old time words!) Their accusations
stirred up quite the controversy. It all makes for quite the
fascinating story.
If you like this book you're in luck. Murphy is quite the
prolific author. He really knows how, through a skilled blend of
words and pictures, to make a long ago event come to life. I have
read quite a few of his works and never been disappointed.
On a personal note, tomorrow is my birthday. Still being up in the
air about whether I'll get the library job I have my heart set on, I'm
not sure I'll be up for any celebrating.
A great big shout out goes out to my friends and family who consider
my birthday something worth celebrating.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment