Friday, September 20, 2013

My Family For The War

My Family For The War

As Anne C. Voorheave's My Family For The War begins, protagonist
Farnziska, then 10 and called Ziska, is watching her best friend,
Rebecca, jump from a windowsill to a tree. In Hitler's Germany they
have to be constantly ready to escape from playground bullies. Sadly
cruelty is not confined to the young. The Nazis arrive one night,
trashing her home and beating and arresting her father.
Things become more and more desperate. When Ziska's mother
hears of the Kindertransport that will carry German children to safety
in England she signs her up. In Ziska's mind she is being sent away.
Her mother has chosen her father over her. At the last minute at the
place the children are being collected she leaves her mother to hug
her best friend's mother. It is an act she regrets for years.
In England Ziska becomes Frances. Her host family gives her a
new name to begin a new life. Their Orthodox rituals are puzzling.
Her new school places her in a grade with much younger children due to
her limited English. Often she cuts school, desperate to find a way
to bring her beloved parents to safety. Then just as she is adjusting
there is another move to a supposedly safer location.
The book follows Frances for seven years leading up to and
including the war. As I read it the characters felt real and
compelling. At times I just had to put the book down and walk away
from the sadness. But there were also moments of tenderness and joy
that were equally as palpable. My Family for the War is one of the
most compelling coming of age stories I have ever discovered. I would
highly recommend it not only for the young adults for whom it was
penned but also the adult adults who are their parents.
On a personal note, I think my first interview for the library job
went well. Now I am very anxiously waiting to hear if I make the cut
for a second interview.
A great big shout goes out to the friends who are kindly praying for
me and encouraging me.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment