Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Wild Tongues Can't Be Tamed (YA anthology)

"I am so excited to share this anthology with the world. Too often individuals from the Latinx diaspora are placed into a box, into stereotypes, that society deems necessary in order to define. But we are so much more than the myths, than the stereotypes, than what white people and Western ideals want us to believe."
     Saraciea J. Fennell, editor of Wild Tongues Can't Be Tamed wants to shatter the myths and stereotypes and break open the constricting boxes many people feel the need to put Latinx people into. She wants readers to get a sense of the eloquence and diversify of the writers--some deservedly famous, some just starting out--whose work has been included in the book. Indeed each one has a distinctive and meaningful tale to tell. But there are some recurring themes.
     One is being constantly asked "What are you?" by people who feel a need to boil your existence down to one word--asking if you are Mexican or Black and refusing to believe you can be both or even more. Being frustrated by their refusal to believe your real identity.
     Colorism plays a role with people with lighter skin and better hair being seen more favorably. Families with a wide range of skin tones startle some people. 
     Some writers talk about a need to discover their roots, where they come from, and their family history in order to understand who they are.
     One of the writers is considered to have given up his culture by assimilating too much. But there are pressures to assimilate and give up cultural identity. Some writers are fluent in Spanish while others don't know or know very little. Both statuses have consequences. 
     I think these powerful stories can really help non Latinx people (like me) better understand the complexity and individuality of people who whites share this nation, sometimes reluctantly, with. I recommend Wild Tongues Can't Be Tamed for its YA target demographic and way beyond. One feature I really like is a series of thought provoking discussion questions at the end that would make the book excellent for secondary classroom curriculum inclusion. 
On a purrrsonal note, I spent much of Monday running errands. First in Bangor I went to Hannaford to get molasses and Cool Whip to make Eugene a molasses cake 🎂 🥮 for our anniversary. I also got Fancy Feast entrees and cat treats for precious Tobago and raspberries and blueberries for me. I was so close to Goodwill I had to stop in and get three little Squishmallows. Then I had to go to Orono to put Tobago's money 💰 in her savings account. Because I had to take six buses my errands took five hours, much longer than it would if I could drive.
A great big shout out goes out to the people who work in produce in Hannaford stores around Maine. They arrange the fruits and veggies so beautifully. Like the garden of Eden without the serpent. 
Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my Galaxy

No comments:

Post a Comment